Monday, April 8, 2019

Captain America and the Avengers Repair Log #2

Next step was to remove all the chips for a deep cleaning.

It was even nastier underneath:


After using a nice paint brush to remove most of the dead insect parts and spider egg sacks, I prayed the entire board (both sides) abundantly with Simple Green.

Rinced it slowly in the sink after letting the Simple Green rest for a minute or two, then removed more stuck dead insect parts and did the same process once more for good measure.

I let it drain and dry a little bit, and then used my ESD protected Air Duster to push the excess water out of the sockets and help the drying process (now more than a minute or two at a time).



I let the board rest for a day and a night in the nice hot Californian weather, using the Air Duster a few more times once in a while.

Next step was to do a full visual inspection of the board.
  • Nothing major detected, no lifter legs on the legs of the chips, but a few scratches on the traces.
  • Used the multimeter to check continuity and all seemed fine.


Before doing more tests, I proceeded to cleaning the EPROMs and Pals.

  • One of the EPROMs had a bent leg that I managed to carefully salvage while cleaning it.
  • For the rest, I used a nail filer to carefully clean all the dirt off from the legs.
  • I then re-seated all of the chips in their sockets to do a quick test:




Color are back, screen is stable for the Attract mode!

I let it run for a while and all good!



Starting the game gives me still that debug code :/ 


But pressing start on player two made it disappear!!



Played the game for about 25 minutes with no issue!

  • Image good, controls good, sound perfect.


Success! It was an easy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment